[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
7000 BC Forums • View topic - Paying to Scan stuff?

Paying to Scan stuff?

Ready to print your work or want to share your experiences in publishing? This is the place to be!

Re: Paying to Scan stuff?

Postby Droakir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

I have two scanners. One that I use for small-scale art and photography, and one that I use for large scale line art and comic work. Avoid any sheetfed scanner as those can sometimes... eat your artwork.

The scanner I use for photography is the Canon 8800F. Since it's an older model, it doesn't exist anymore. . The scanner is incredibly high resolution and can also scan film and slides, which as a BW photographer (film) I have found to be incredibly useful. The drawback is that the scanner bed isn't very large, and not suited to anything over, say, 8x10. For that, I have my all-in one, the . I use it for scanning as well as color prints. It can scan up to 11 x 17 and print up to 13 x 19. Any work larger than 11 x 17 I either scan in parts or I light and photograph.

I guess it comes down to this... how much do you plan on scanning/imaging? Actually getting a decent scanned image can take a lot of time and effort, because getting started tends to be a lot of trial and error. I think it's important to know this going in, as scanning can be rather time consuming.
Droakir
Site Admin

Postby michael-ellis » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 am

I plan on doing lots of scans of line art, and it's looking like an oversized flatbed scanner is just the ticket for what I need. Thanks for the input, all. It's been very useful.

Question about the Epson you mentioned, Droakir: does it have a lip on it? I often do stuff even larger than 11X17, and mashing the cover down onto a drawing is a no-no.
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Droakir » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:15 am

Michael - what do you mean by a lip? Do you mean does the lid come down so you can't scan larger pieces?

As far as I can tell, no, it does not. Then again, on really large scans, I will often use something else to hold down a page for scanning and leave the lid up. This will often be a book or other heavy object. I put several sheets of white paper between the book and the back of the page I am scanning so that you don't see the book page through the paper you are scanning.
Droakir
Site Admin

Postby michael-ellis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:29 pm

I mean does the glass sit down into a tray that has an edge on it, like the types of copiers at Kinkos, or is the glass flush with the plastic around it? Does that make sense?
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Droakir » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 pm

It is in very rare cases with any inexpensive or consumer product that the glass platen is flush with the bezel. This is due to the difficulty and cost in mounting the platen. I'm afraid in such a low price range you're probably never going to find a flush platen.
Droakir
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Print Shop