[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
7000 BC Forums • View topic - Paying to Scan stuff?

Paying to Scan stuff?

Ready to print your work or want to share your experiences in publishing? This is the place to be!

Paying to Scan stuff?

Postby michael-ellis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 pm

For good quality scans of line art, is it worth paying for a high quality scan, or will the average home scanner do an adequate job for print-quality work?

What say ye?
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Re: Paying to Scan stuff?

Postby Pete_Z » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Most scanners can do 300 dpi.(color or grey scale) Which is standard for general professional print quality.
For comic book line art at just black you would need 600 dpi. (sometimes called bitmap._
Most scanners output the file as the standard formates.

If your scanner can do that then I'd say you would be generally covered. Can yours do that?

The only warning I have is if it's one of those thin scanners that the paper roles through. My boss got me one thinking it was cute and small or something but I can't use it because the scans are constantly crooked. Like—It shifts while its scanning.

Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby bramjm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Your line art for comics, right? Home scanner should be fine. When you get to the point of making prints from your paintings and other original art, you'll want to look into higher-quality scans (or photographs).
bramjm
Board Member

Postby michael-ellis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 am

I'm thinking line art and painted stuff for inclusion in a portfolio and/or making prints. There are a few places in Albuquerque that will do extremely high-resolution, archival image capturing, with a camera and advanced lighting set up and all that. They run about $45-$65 per image capture, but are far cheaper to print.

They also do flatbed scans for line art and run in the neighborhood of $15 per scan.

I'm trying to get an illustration portfolio together, and it's probably worth the investment in super high-quality image capture. But if I do my own indie comic, $15/page seems mighty steep.

Is there a reasonable middle ground? Buy my own professional grade flatbed scanner, perhaps?
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby bramjm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Depending on how you're displaying the portfolio — just online? — the high-res might not be necessary. If you're doing art prints, most certainly.

I'm thinking there's not probably a middle ground. Technology. The home version, the pro version, not really worth having something in between.
bramjm
Board Member

Postby michael-ellis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I think I'll just buy my own pro-grade scanner so I can avoid the inconvenience of having to take my work to a shop.

Now where did I leave that spare $3,000...
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Pete_Z » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 pm

This is what I have.

The scanning bed is 11x17 and you also can run 11x17 bristol board through it (Too thick and it wont work.)
Say you wanted to print out pencils in your own blue line.

It's an investment but not $3000.

Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby michael-ellis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Does it have a flatbed scanner too, or does it all have to be run through?
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Pete_Z » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 am

It has a bed as well as auto feed.( the top opens like a copier.)

Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby Yoga Yoda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:23 am

You don't need to go expensive for line art. This is what I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 7AodbwMAqw

It's a Mustek oversize scanner (up to 11.7" x 16.5" I think), does 1200 dpi optical, which is plenty for comics. Less than $200. Shop around for price. It doesn't do well with Macs, but there is a lengthy tutorial online by Steve Lieber about how he got it to work for his studio. ( http://periscopestudio.com/an-os-x-driv ... ss-a3-usb/ ) I use it with pc and as long as I run it through Photoshop, it's fantastic. Works okay without Photoshop, but it has a stupid interface.

The strength of it and the drawback is that it was actually designed with comic artists in mind. This means it's great for oversize line art, and that's a lot of what comics are. If you've got anything other than line art... I actually use a different scanner for that. It's not oversize but the mustek really doesn't do anything other than line art well. The one odd thing I've found is that for black and white line art, it's best to scan it in full color, 16 bit, and then convert it.

It's an older piece of technology, but I've never seen anything else near the price, it does its job, and oversize scanning makes a huge difference. Even if you're getting something nicer for the other work, I think it's worth getting this too for the line art.

My other thought is that I know you've been doing some painting, and depending on the size, you might consider photographing them rather than scanning. There's a whole technique to getting a good photo of a piece, but it's something to consider.
Yoga Yoda
Board Member

Next

Return to Print Shop