Tablet tricks?

Have a question about a tool or technique? Have a tutorial or a skill to share? Post here!

Tablet tricks?

Postby michael-ellis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:20 pm

I got a new Wacom Create tablet for my birthday and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Is there any way to be able to rotate the tablet as you draw so it doesn't correspond to the orientation on the screen, like you'd be able to rotate a sketch book to continue a curved line or something?
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Re: Tablet tricks?

Postby Pete_Z » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:24 pm

I don't think you can make the tablet do that(possibly),
But you can rotate the canvass on-the-fly in Photo Shop now. Much like what your thinking about.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tww19TBTFPg
(this feature is different than the standard rotate canvas feature that has always been there.)
Try and see if your photoshop version has it.
Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby michael-ellis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Cool! I'll give it a shot. I'm using CS2, since Adobe made it free to download on their website. It's pretty stripped down and probably archaic, but it's still digital art magic, so whatever.
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Droakir » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:13 am

Rotation inside software is a relatively new thing, but a lot of modern drawing programs support it. It used to be that none of the programs supported canvas rotation. To get around this, people would get the incredibly expensive Cintiq tablet monitors and mount them on rotating arms to get the drawing angles they needed. With the dropping price of tablets and the fact that more consumers are picking them up, this has actually become a real issue. Newer versions of Photoshop, Manga Studio, and Painter all support canvas rotation. This means that you can keep your tablet stationary but still draw naturally. Unfortunately Illustrator doesn't support the feature yet.

Does your Bamboo Create have a touch strip or a touch ring on it? If you have no idea what I'm talking about the chances are no. I have my Intuos4 set up so that the ring controls canvas orientation.
Droakir
Site Admin

Postby michael-ellis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:32 pm

It has a strip on the face, just to the left of the drawing surface. So far all it does that I can tell is click when I don't want it to and make things I don't want appear on the screen.
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Droakir » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 am

You're going to have to modify the settings on it to get it to do what you want it to do.
Droakir
Site Admin

Return to Shop Talk