First time in Artist's Alley - What should I expect?

Have a question about a tool or technique? Have a tutorial or a skill to share? Post here!

First time in Artist's Alley - What should I expect?

Postby Droakir » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 am

Hey guys,

Many of you know me, some may not. I've volunteered at the 7000 BC booth at several cons over the past few years. This next year, however, I am planning on taking the plunge and getting a table at Artist's Alley. So I was wondering... what should I expect, getting my own table for the first time? How much product should I have to sell? How many different types of product? In addition, are there any suggestions for banners or displays that I can use to showcase my work without annoying fellow artists or encroaching on their space?

Thanks for the help! I look forward to hearing from you all!

Nathan
Droakir
Site Admin

Re: First time in Artist's Alley - What should I expect?

Postby Pete_Z » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 pm

• Long day but fun 8-12 hour day(s). Water and snacks and a cushy seat can keep you comfortable and keep from getting grouchy from hunger.

• Amount of items you want to sell should pay for your table cost and beyond if possible.
The variety I would say should be more than one and not overwhelming.
Having items that others don't have is very appealing to folks.

• Retractible Banners seam like they are space efficient and convenient.
Exhibit Solutions is in albuquerque and Graphics Enterprise Services uses them for their expo needs.

Side notes of other things I noticed going to cons and events:

People expect business cards.

Have a table mate
With a partner you can take bathroom breaks and attend panels and actually see the event.

Money
1s, 5s, 10s, totaling $100 is a good starting point.
People expect credit cards to be accepted.

Your Energy and Body language
I would say body language of the passers can let you know how much energy you should give them. A simple hello works and doesn't take much energy. If they don't respond to it on day 1 they might be walking with a mission... to get a Stan Lee signature. Later that day or that weekend they might have a browsing walk.

Staying positive
This is usually assumed in general but what I am referring to is what you say. Art is subjective and taste is involved and has an acceptable amount of criticism. My warning is not being overly critical or negative because it leaves a sour impression on fellow comic makers and the fans.
Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby Droakir » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm expecting this first time I won't actually be making very much money. But I'm doing it more for the experience, regardless (plus I budgeted for the table already, so that didn't bother me).

Are there any suggestions for what kind of pieces I should be bringing to sell?
Droakir
Site Admin

Postby Pete_Z » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Its advice you heard before but: Bring your comics, art, and things that no one else is selling. This is my new tactic I hope to use at ACE. Not sure what unique thing Ill have yet.......
Pete_Z
Board Member

Return to Shop Talk