7000 BC Figure Drawing Session

Discussion of news and events related to 7000bc, its members, and the comics community as a whole.

7000 BC Figure Drawing Session

Postby Pete_Z » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Hey artists!
First meeting of the year!... We talked about having a figure drawing session in a future meeting session.

Ideas so far:
•1 Clothed models. Cosplayers in town might be utilized.
•2 Gesture drawing (short poses) 30 sec—60 sec.
•3 Hiring nude model for possible longer drawing studies.(tips to the model are appreciated as always appreciated)

Please add your suggestions. We want to improve our skillz!
Pete_Z
Board Member

Re: 7000 BC Figure Drawing Session

Postby michael-ellis » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:41 pm

I think it's a great idea, Pete! I'd certainly do my best to attend and chip in to hire models. Where would the sessions take place? Seems a little odd to have models (clothed or otherwise) posing in a corner of a comic shop.
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Godzilla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:55 am

Perhaps we could save money by using people who don't model professionally? IE: If we're looking for a certain body type we can find friends/family who fit that type and pay them to model clothed of semi-clothed.

I do really like the cosplayers idea though
Godzilla

Postby Pete_Z » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:40 am

michael-ellis wrote:I think it's a great idea, Pete! I'd certainly do my best to attend and chip in to hire models. Where would the sessions take place? Seems a little odd to have models (clothed or otherwise) posing in a corner of a comic shop.

There hasn't been a place nailed down yet.

Brainstorming:
But If we find a more private location we may be able to get away with less clothes on the model. Maybe a gallery type setting like Metroplos, The Tannex, Harwood, North 4th, and Astro-Ziombies meeting space)? We are most def open to new placeless too.

You know any places that would have us, Mike?
Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby Pete_Z » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 am

Godzilla wrote:Perhaps we could save money by using people who don't model professionally? IE: If we're looking for a certain body type we can find friends/family who fit that type and pay them to model clothed of semi-clothed.

Yes, to saving money. Know any coplayers? The last session that we did this in Jamie Chase's studio was years ago. What we did was just take turns holding poses with props and such. We can do that again too.(bring your props!)
Pete_Z
Board Member

Postby michael-ellis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:51 am

I don't know of any place off hand, but I like the idea of working in a studio or gallery. One thing that would be nice would be access to lighting equipment. The Harwood studio is set up for this, and I know the New Mexico Art League has stuff as well, but I don't know how open either organization is to having outside groups come in to do their own figure drawing sessions.

Also, how much DOES one pay a model per hour?
michael-ellis
Notebook Doodler

Postby Neb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for bringing this up on the boards Pete!

Yes!! I'm really excited to do some figure drawing with you guys!! We can definitely start small... with one of us just holding a pose for everyone else to sketch for a bit... switch it up... bring props... etc.

That sounds like a great way to get started. If that works out, then we can expand into more better bigger opportunities, and enlist friends (and/or cosplayers) to help out. As good as enlisting a model would be (nude or otherwise), I think the trouble outweighs the benefits of that. Let's just keep it quick and simple...

I say we just do this impromptu at the next meeting. Even if it's in a comic shop... just have someone stand up on a chair... and let the scribbling commence!
Ben "Neb!" Girven
Artist / Creator / Illustrator / Shifty-Eyed Dreamer
FB: www.facebook.com/nebjustarted
Blog: www.ipoopart.egocomics.com
Instagram / Twitter / Tumblr: @theredneb
Neb
Board Member

Postby Godzilla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Pete_Z wrote:
Godzilla wrote:Perhaps we could save money by using people who don't model professionally? IE: If we're looking for a certain body type we can find friends/family who fit that type and pay them to model clothed of semi-clothed.

Yes, to saving money. Know any coplayers?

Yea, I bet I could arrange for some stuff
Godzilla

Postby RalphContreras » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:54 am

I think this is an amazing idea :D . If you're looking for ideas on price or locations maybe you can ask Santa Fe Drawing for some info ( a weekly figure drawing club in Santa Fe) http://www.meetup.com/SFdrawing. I just discovered them.

Here's a few questions; will space be limited and how often would the Figure Drawing Sessions be?
Rafael "Ralph" Contreras
Graphic Designer - Illustrator - Writer

Blog: http://www.ComicBookGraphicDesign.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/RalphContreras
RalphContreras
Lurker

Postby Droakir » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

I for one think this is a great idea! Life art is one of those things I think everybody needs practice with.

If there is difficulty finding a more private space, an alternative to nude models would be models wearing some sort of skin-tight leotard. Costumed models is also an excellent idea - I have a hard time drawing accurate drapery and it would definitely help me.
Droakir
Site Admin

Next

Return to News and Events